hen racket at dawn

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joanr, May 27, 2010.

1. joanr

joanr New Egg

May 27, 2010
    My hens are one year old and in excellent health. Very recently they have cackled very very loudly around dawn, 5:30 AM. There is no predator and no egg laying going on at that hour. They seem to just want out of the coop. As soon as I open the door they tear out and begin looking for insects etc. I live in a neighborhood and if this behavior continues through the summer I may have to abandon keeping chickens. There was no such noise in the previous seasons. I did not get a rooster just to avoid being a noisy neighbor. These five hens are loud enough to be heard in the next town. Any ideas?

2. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Hmmm... VERY INTERESTING! Are you sure that there is absolutely no egg laying at that time because my chickens start their day at 5 in the morning and every time that they lay an egg they have the need to make a very loud cackling/sqauking noise... just wonderin.

3. joanr

joanr New Egg

May 27, 2010
    no eggs until later in the day and yes they often then make a fuss but nothing like they are doing now at dawn.

4. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Quote:Yep mine too!! But I at least get to stay in bed 15 min. later than you....mine don't start til 5:45! [​IMG]

I am like you though, I'm constantly worried I'm going to get a call from an irritated neighbor!

As soon as I let them out, they scratch and preen and go about their business totally quiet! I am really considering some type of automatic pop door at least for morning....or some very heavy ear plugs and neighbors are on their own!! [​IMG]

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Ours do the same thing. Also at different times during the day. I think they hear a noise and wakes them up.
    Don't have to worry about neighbor. We are COUNTRY folk.

6. joanr

joanr New Egg

May 27, 2010
    I too am interested in the idea of an automatic door opener for the morning. Any suggestions?

7. LittleFeat

Jul 14, 2009
    Quote:Do a search on here for automatic door. There are LOTS of posts. Someone just the other day posted about trying to figure out a method that the chickens could actually activate the door themselves. They mentioned the feeders that when a bird steps on it the access door opens for the feed. I was thinking this might be something to "dwell" on and try to come up with - something that would maybe spring the pop door open. I don't really care about it closing but the morning chicken-operated opening is something I'm going to work on!! [​IMG]

8. LittleFeat

Jul 14, 2009
    Oh and by the way.....Joanr.... [​IMG]

9. target022

target022 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Vallejo, CA
    One of my three leghorns is very vocal every morning at 6 am. She doesn't even come out of the coop. They also get a little noisy when they see me come out. One of them has just started laying, but I never get an egg in the morning.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:If you're willing to spend the money for it, the Foy's automatic doorkeeper is MY recommendation! I love it. Battery operated, so you don't need power to the coop. Daylight activated, so it opens just after dawn and closes at dusk.

Look here: http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/2100-2107.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by