1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Raised vs. Hand/House Raised

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenboy95, Jan 23, 2009.

1. chickenboy95

chickenboy95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    Are chicks more skiddish and don't like to be picked up if there with a mother hen. Or are they more skiddish and don't like to be picked up if there raised inside the house in a brooder.

2. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

Either way their gonna be skittish for a while. It all depends on how often you get them out and handle them.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    In my experience I have found that chicks don't want anything to do with me when raised by a hen. However if i am the one raising them they get used to the human touch and become very tame until they grow up and don't want anything to do with me anymore [​IMG]

4. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    I have a hen that loves to go broody about a week after she weans her chicks. I have a brooder cage that I raise them in and I handle her quite a bit, as she is friendly and the chicks see this and get the idea I'm not the boogey man, so they end up friendly too. Just my way of doing it. [​IMG]

5. chickenboy95

chickenboy95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    OK thank you.
    I had 5 eggs hatch and since I'm out with my chickens so much when ever the hens have chicks I can imitate the hens sounds to the chicks.
    I know the "come get food"
    I know the "come under my hand danger"
    and I know the soft buk buk buk that they make and they all run to my hand and dont leave it alone.
    They follow it around everywhere.

Oh and I have 1 pipping at the moment.

and 6 under the broody hen and 3 more in the bator not doing anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by