hen rapidly losing weight, pale face, and diarreah!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flour child, Jan 14, 2015.

1. flour child

flour child Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    finger lakes, NY
    any help would be greatly appreciated! my 2 year old RIR hen started showing odd symptoms 2 weeks ago, i first noticed her poo was watery, practical only water, and little bits of green, i checked lots of her poos for worms, no sign. next came losing weight, she weighs half of what she should now! all skin and bones, shes also lost all color in her wattle and comb..and today i went to check on her and one of her wattles is bloated! i started the whole flock on a dewormer two days ago.. ive done so much research but have gotten nowhere but utterly frustrated and helpless. she also seems to have a case of bumblefoot which i took the black cap off and kept wrapped with neosporin for a week. ive suspected she might have an infection and would really like to start her off on antibiotics but which one?! please help, this is driving me nuts and i love her and would be heart broken if she didnt make it because of me.

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Quarantine immediately, if you haven't already.

Is she eating and drinking normally? Has she been laying normally?

Have you checked her crop for obstruction? Is it hard? Squishy or spongy? Is it full at night and empty in the morning?

Does she have any masses in her abdomen?

Swollen wattles can be a sign of a respiratory infection. Have you heard any wheezing, sneezing, coughing or observed any bubbly eyes or nasal drainage?

I would track down some oxytetracycline water soluble powder if she is drinking normally (especially if there is evidence of a resp infection... but with a bumblefoot infection, it can only help). If not, you can do an injection with Tylan 50 (available at most feed stores). 22-24g, 1/4" needle, .5cc per pound for a pullet, 1cc per pound for adult bird. Give the shot right in the thickest, meatiest part of the breast.

For a systemic staph infection (which she MIGHT have if the infected core has stayed in for a long period), you can use Neomycin (available at most feed stores). https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/842167/neomycin-sulfate-200mg-oral-solution-dosage Here's a thread on dosage.

If she has bumblefoot, you must remove the CORE of the infection in order for it to heal... Removing the scab won't be enough, unfortunately. I would perform the procedure as soon as humanly possible. You will need another pair of hands... Wrap her in a towel to gently restrain and calm her. I would also cover her head (make sure she can breathe!) to make it dark, so she'll go into the "chicken trance."

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to <~~ Check that out for bumblefoot goodness.

If she stops eating or drinking normally, you must begin tube feeding her. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding There's the link on how to do that.

Let us know of any other symptoms or things of note. :) Pictures always help!

MrsB

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  3. flour child

Mar 25, 2013
    finger lakes, NY
    thank you so much for replying! it means alot. shes been eating and drinking normally, but i did forget to mention shes hasnt laid any eggs! her crop is normal, hard at night and empty in the morn. and ive checked her abdomen, thinking she might be egg bound, but nothing. she had been quarantined for a week but then i put her outside thinking it might be better for her. i was also waiting for her foot to heal so i could try again on the bumblefoot surgery, the first time i got the scab off but i couldnt get any deeper, im ashamed but i had stopped because i was afraid.. she was bleeding what seemed a normal amount, but i just couldnt find and puss coming out so i thought i had done something wrong, and she was very uncomftorable (i had a partner holding her). i will put her in quarantine again and do the surgery asap. she hasnt been sneezing or coughing either. so maybe not respiratory? do you think the diarreah is related to this? it was the first notable sign she had, and still has. again, thank you so much! im going to take some pictures right now to see if it helps.

1 person likes this.
  4. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    In case it was missed, I updated information on Neomycin for bumblefoot/staph infection. :)

Just keep in mind that chickens aren't mammals and handle pain WAY differently than we do. It's how they are able to hide their symptoms so effectively. A little bleeding is normal. Just check out the thread on the "right" way to do a bumblefoot extraction with minimal discomfort to the bird.... Once it is out, she will be *relieved.*

Since it's winter (at least where I am in the northern hemisphere), it's no surprise that she hasn't laid an egg. Definitely bring her inside and put her in some kind of crate with a towel. You'll be able to monitor her food and water intake and keep an eye on her poops for any changes.

You are doing a great job.

I look forward to the pictures!

MrsB

5. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    By the bye, what wormer are you using?

MrsB

PS - I would treat with the Neomycin, rather than the Tylan 50 if you hear no signs of resp distress. :)

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

7. flour child

Mar 25, 2013
    finger lakes, NY
    i would love love love to bring her to a vet, it would relieve me so much. but i cannot by any means afford it, which makes me feel so guilty, i try my very hardest to make sure all my hens are happy and healthy, but sometimes its not enough..

8. flour child

Mar 25, 2013
    finger lakes, NY
    the wormer i used was called strike III, i mixed it with 50 lbs of their food, it said it took care of 3 types of worms, so i was thinking that was my best option.

9. flour child

Mar 25, 2013
    finger lakes, NY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the first picture is a comparison between the color of her and her sisters crop and wattle, the second is the side of her wattle that is NOT swollen, the third picture is her swollen wattle, which just happened today

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Frostbite can be a cause of swollen battles or combs. She looks like there could be some frostbite on the tips of comb and very slight on bottom of wattle. Could she be suffering from egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying? That is very common in older hens that aren't laying. Diarrhea can be common, but I would look for any cooked egg material in the droppings. For more accurate deworming, I would use Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormem or equine paste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by