Hen refusing food, clear stuff streaming from vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EastinChickens, May 22, 2010.

1. EastinChickens

EastinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Michigan
    Well, the title explains her first symptoms... She is laying down a lot and when she does get up, her wings droop and she is crouched, looking like she is trying to lay an egg. I tried to offer her yogurt, she would not eat it. Her vent area is red, puffy, and looks like her her insides are sticking out by about 1/4 inch, then they will go back inside... I don't think it is a prolapsed vent though.... She is a 2 year old Rhode Island laying Hybrid. Does anyone know what this is? I will be posting pics later....

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Sounds like maybe she's egg bound. I would do a forum search and see what you can find. Hope she gets better quickly!

3. EastinChickens

Apr 4, 2010
    Michigan
    I dont know about her being eggbound.... I felt around and I didn't feel any eggs, and when I found her this morning, she was out in the run, not in a nestbox.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    hmmm... i'm not sure. Hopefully this will bump your thread up a bit and someone will answer.

5. EastinChickens

Apr 4, 2010
    Michigan
    Update: she just laid an egg, looks normal......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by