Hen rejecting chicks that hatched the next day

Bunnybryn

Songster
Aug 30, 2020
Central Texas
My broody has been hatching eggs. 3 hatched Saturday and she's been great with them. Two more hatched last night and she started pecking at the new babies when they came out from under her. I left her for a few minutes and came back to find that she had killed one. I took the other new hatch baby out and have her in a brooder. Is there any chance she will accept the last baby at any point?

Are the last two chicks the same color as the first three? It is very likely that she has imprinted on the first chicks and will kill any others. This is a common problem with staggered hatches.
One is the same color but the other one isnt. The one she killed was black and she does have one black chick she's caring for.

One is the same color but the other one isnt. The one she killed was black and she does have one black chick she's caring for.
I am so sorry for your loss. I have been reading about staggered hatches, because I’m likely facing the same thing. I’m often very surprised at which posts receive answers and which ones do not. I am surprised and saddened that no one helped you with this. Were you able to get the babies back to the mommy?

Thank you! No, unfortunately the two that survived weren't ever accepted by her. I tried a couple if times to show her the chicks and she puffed up and screamed at them. The poor chicks were literally shaking. They've been in a brooder in my house and are very happy. I'm slowly integrating them with the flock but I'm definitely mommy lol.
I am so sorry for your loss. I have been reading about staggered hatches, because I’m likely facing the same thing. I’m often very surprised at which posts receive answers and which ones do not. I am surprised and saddened that no one helped you with this. Were you able to get the babies back to the mommy?

Thank you! No, unfortunately the two that survived weren't ever accepted by her. I tried a couple if times to show her the chicks and she puffed up and screamed at them. The poor chicks were literally shaking. They've been in a brooder in my house and are very happy. I'm slowly integrating them with the flock but I'm definitely mommy lol.
How sad for them to have to go through that and yet you had no choice but to try! They are lucky you are able to take care of them. 🥰 My mama killed one too and it has broke my heart. 3 weeks and it still hurts. Now I have 4 to take care of. Hoping I don’t end of with another batch to care for this week with the coming possible staggered hatch... I will just mail them to you! 🤣

Sometimes there isn't any help to offer. If she's rejecting the chick, the only thing you CAN do is to take them from her. Some hens will accept others and others won't - sometimes you can't change that. I had a hen that would adopt anything that peeped, even weeks later. I have a hen now that rejects everything, even by just the next day. Only thing you can do is brood them yourself.

How sad for them to have to go through that and yet you had no choice but to try! They are lucky you are able to take care of them. 🥰 My mama killed one too and it has broke my heart. 3 weeks and it still hurts. Now I have 4 to take care of. Hoping I don’t end of with another batch to care for this week with the coming possible staggered hatch... I will just mail them to you! 🤣
I'm in the same boat! After that incident I am so traumatized. I have a hen that started hatching yesterday and I'm trying to leave her completely alone despite how tempted I am to peek at the babies as they hatch just in case that will save her from doing the same thing! I dont want to go through that again! Good luck on your next hatch!!

I'm in the same boat! After that incident I am so traumatized. I have a hen that started hatching yesterday and I'm trying to leave her completely alone despite how tempted I am to peek at the babies as they hatch just in case that will save her from doing the same thing! I dont want to go through that again! Good luck on your next hatch!!
I put a camera in front of this broody! That way I never have to doubt whether I somehow caused a problem. It is truly adorable to watch her! She sleeps most of the time and when she’s not, she is moving straw around in her nest. I did put extra straw in front of her house/nest and she grabs that and pushes it all around her. Every time I look on the camera she has a piece of straw somewhere on her head or face. It really is one of the cutest things I’ve ever watched. If you have the means to quietly set something like that up, that will probably help you a lot. Please update on your hatch and I will do the same. 💜🐣💜 I am going to hopefully figure out how to upload video of her so that others that wonder what a broody behavior is like in the last days will know what to expect. There was no where I could find this information!

I put a camera in front of this broody! That way I never have to doubt whether I somehow caused a problem. It is truly adorable to watch her! She sleeps most of the time and when she’s not, she is moving straw around in her nest. I did put extra straw in front of her house/nest and she grabs that and pushes it all around her. Every time I look on the camera she has a piece of straw somewhere on her head or face. It really is one of the cutest things I’ve ever watched. If you have the means to quietly set something like that up, that will probably help you a lot. Please update on your hatch and I will do the same. 💜🐣💜 I am going to hopefully figure out how to upload video of her so that others that wonder what a broody behavior is like in the last days will know what to expect. There was no where I could find this information!
That's a great idea and I'd LOVE to see a video! I'll post some pictures tonight, I've seen 4 but there should be six. I cant wait to take a peek! 😊

Back
Top Bottom