1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen ripped her toe off

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by debilorrah, Apr 23, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

how do i stop the bleeding. no feed store or vet place open. HELP!!!!

2. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

if you have no stepic powder (sp?) todab on and stop the bleeding,, you can try light flour, some say not to but it has worked for me and my family. If all else fails, and depnding on how bad she is bleeding, try direct constant pressure and if still too bad to stop, you can use a lighter and cartorize(sp) the wound. this is the extreme end of the solutions but its better then the bird bleedinout. THere is possible risk of infection with cartorization fyi.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What kind of bleeding? Puncture? Feather? Toenail?

Flour or cornstarch if you have it.

4. debilorrah

Quote:IT LOOKS LIKESHE BROKE IT OFF AT TH QUICK

SORRY

5. debilorrah

Sorry about the caps lock I was typing one handed with the poor thing in my arms.

The corn starch helped THANK YOU BOTH!!! We wrapped it in a paper towel and used shipping tape to completely close it. She is fine, just walking funny with a wad on her toe. How'd she do that??? I sure am glad Ken went to take one last look!!!

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It could have snagged on anything. Glad you got it taken care of.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Raising chickens. Always an adventure. Learned something new here.

8. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    My girl once managed to pull her toenail off when free-ranging, i saw her walking towards me with her foot pumping blood, happy as larry, and totally panicked of course [​IMG]

We put flour on the wound 'till it stopped bleeding, and it healed fine on its own.

9. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    One of my sumatra hens lost a nail as well. I didn't see it happen. I came home to find blood everywhere in my barn and had to inspect every bird until I found one with a bloody toe. It stopped on it's own, thankfully and she's fine. Her name is Toe-fu.

10. debilorrah

Yeah that thing bled ALOT!!! Took a long time to stop it but she was a good girl in my arms the whole time. Poor thing! She is one of my bo's starting an 8 month old mini molt, so her butt is bald, and now her poor toe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by