Hen (roo?) attacking my son (Photos added- post #11)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by herwitsend, Oct 24, 2011.

1. herwitsend

herwitsend Out Of The Brooder

I have a hen who will cut me off as I cross the yard and jump up to peck me. I usually pick her up and hold her upside down while telling her my favorite stew recipe and she behaves for a few days. I feel like I can handle her challenges, but my 2 year old son is terrified to go in the yard! She has gotten him twice from behind. I added a roo to the flock last week and I though he would set her straight, but he hasn't so far.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

That is very out of charactor for a hen. Are you sure it's a hen and not a rooster? Do you have pictures?

3. NorthestGeorgia14

NorthestGeorgia14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Rome Ga
    Quote:You have to hold her and pet her everyday .

4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Quote:X2

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    they'reHISchickens :

x3​

6. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg

x3

x4... exactly what I thought when I was reading the OP!!

7. DawnM

DawnM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Tacoma, Wa
    Our nastiest chicken is a hen and we have 3 roosters. She's definately a hen because she lays eggs. She's a Bantam Cochin and her sister is very sweet, she's my daughters 4H fit and show bird and behaves perfectly on the table. This one is nasty. She bites people and tries to chase everyone. She treats the other chickens like that too and usually ends up by herself in the yard because no one else wants to hang out with her. We just brush it off because she's too little to really hurt anyone but I have learned that hens CAN be just plain mean.

8. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Some hens are, thats for sure. But as long as they lay good... Oh well, BUT I would not tolerate the hen terrorizing my kid no matter what. She'd have to go, either for dinner or some one else.
    [​IMG] from Michigan

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  9. herwitsend

herwitsend Out Of The Brooder

I don't have a recent photo, but I am 90% sure she is a hen. I only have 7 hens and I got 7 eggs one day last week. I will get a picture up tomorrow.

I assumed she was a rooster for a long time because she is so aggressive.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'd get rid of her. Do you want your little boy to be afraid of chickens for the rest of his life? Even if she doesn't "hurt" him physically, he's already terrified of her. Hopefully if you get rid of her soon enough he'll be able to be comfortable around chickens again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by