Hen & Roos

joann

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
Brooksville
When and how will I be able to tell the different between my Hens & Roos. 10 chicks 4 weeks old. I should have gotten 10 altogether but Ideal sent me 11. I order 7 pullet, 1male White Rocks. Then 2 Cochin Bantan st runs. One pass on to the big coop in the sky.

Question 2- When will they start laying eggs?

egg laying starts around 5 months but can be as long as 7...depends on weather too...Gracie started laying at 5 1/2 (she's a bantam cochin) and was very secretive about it in the beginning....didn't find the nest till she had 12 eggs in it....all frozen in the snow
sad.png
as to the sex question....you should be able to tell any day now....they will have a comb that slightly separtates from the head in back....then they will also get red "lips" first....which become their waddles....then when their testosterone hits.....you will have the occasional tantrum from those unruly testosterone rushes. once My rooster lost a grasshopper i'd given him and squacked as loud as he could and stamped his feet....Meanwhile the grasshopper was half dead right in front of him....the entertainment never ends!

Gindee77 posted this first, so credit should go to him/her? I'm reposting it to try and help you.

according to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

Quote:
ok i went to that web link and know i have more question.

9 weeks - legfeathered breeds must be banded- no more problems with outside temperature
10 weeks
11 weeks - banding of the chicks

What is banded and banding?

16 weeks deworm the chicks

do all chicken need deworm? Even small flocks?

Thxs

Back
Top Bottom