1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Hen/Rooster minimum ratio?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CajunChickenGuy, Jul 24, 2014.

1. CajunChickenGuy

CajunChickenGuy In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    I've been trying to find the minimum # of hens per rooster ratio. Most of the info that I find gives the rule of thumb to be 10 hens per rooster. My 15 EE's were purchased as a straight run, so I'm going to hope for 6-8 hens. I have 2 coops that both have their own run (divided by chain link fencing). My plan is to keep one roo in each coop with 3-4 hens.

Should I study the behavior of each roo and try to keep 2 docile ones? Or will even the most docile roo put too much "stress" on the girls with only having 3-4 hens to himself? Any advice/input/criticism would be greatly appreciated.

2. dheltzel

dheltzel Crowing

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I often keep breeder as pairs or trios, so I'd say the minimum is 1 hen per roo. If they are raised together, I bet you could have 4 or 5 roos and a single hen without bloodshed.

So your plan sounds fine to me.

3. soydo

soydo Chirping

Jun 29, 2014
    It varies too much to give a simple answer.

Some roosters are shag beasts, those need way more hens or the hens will suffer or get scruffy from too much rooster attention. Those are the reason for 10 hen minimum you see so much.

Some roosters are not like that. One hen would be fine and she will be in perfect condition. No harm in giving those roosters more hens.

Many are some where in between. Then there are things like some are shag beasts- taking down a hen against her will just about every minute when young and calm down into the latter when mature.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    With that hypothetical ratio even without bloodshed among the males you would have the concern of-the overbreeding and impacts of such of the one poor hen.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: