Hen / rooster ratio

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by donsgirl67, Oct 28, 2013.

1. donsgirl67

donsgirl67 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    De Soto, MO
    Is there a good hen to rooster ratio. New to this but think I'd like to raise chicks eventually so I'd like to know a good ratio to work towards.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    depends on if you ask the hen or the rooster. lol, if you want them to breed one rooster can cover 4-5 hens depending on the roo but just to keep around its just what you would like to have. i have 6 roos in my flock of 30 and they dont fight but they were raised together.and they are not free ranging

3. donsgirl67

Oct 15, 2013
    De Soto, MO
    Thank you. With the size of my coop, I'm thinking 6-8 hens and I was hoping to get the Roo at the same time so they would all be used to each other while young. Do I have to keep the Roo in a separate coop or in the same coop ok?

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    same coop. start them off young-ish. if it is too cool you will need a brooder for a while always keep them together . its pretty hard to tell hen from roo so young though, you might have to play around with them for a while until you get it right but thats half the fun

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    It is best to have as many hens as you can to minimize the chances the rooster will mate the hens too much and pull off their back feathers.

If you only have room for 6 to 8 hens, I would go with 8 hens. One rooster can mate with many hens, so get more hens if you have room and you want them.

They are good if they are all raised together from chicks.

Do you have a breed or breeds in mind?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  6. donsgirl67

Oct 15, 2013
    De Soto, MO
    My hope is for 3 Welsummer, 3 Barred Rock and 2 Australorp. I wanted a Welsummer Roo. Can they all stay in the same coop?

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Yes, of course they can all live together. I am not sure what the offspring with the Barred Plymouth Rocks or the Australorps will look like, but they should all be good chickens.

Did you know that a Welsummer rooster was the model for the rooster on the Kellogg's Corn Flakes box? Although, the real rooster and the cartoon drawing do not look that much alike.

[​IMG]

8. donsgirl67

Oct 15, 2013
    De Soto, MO
    I did and they are so pretty. A friend has some and they run to me when I visit so I'm partial. They are all very sweet too. Thanks so much to all for the advice!! Happy chickens.

9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I would disagree with this. When people talk about a 1:5 ratio, that's usually for intense breeding pens and the rooster is removed after a few days. When you're talking a flock situation, the most often recommended ratio is at least 1:10. Most roosters will keep 10-12 hens fertilized quite easily, believe me! Of course, that 1:10 is just a guideline, but when you go fewer you risk having your hens over-mated and stressed by the rooster. And yes, the rooster lives with the flock in the hen house.

If you are considering hatching your own chicks--just one thing for you to consider. What will you do with the males? I only put that forward because sometimes people get very excited to hatch their own babies, but then are confronted with mixed-breed cockerels that they don't want to cull. And that can be quite a predicament.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. donsgirl67

Oct 15, 2013
    De Soto, MO
    I so understand but I grew up with them so I'm prepared like some aren't. I want dual purpose and it is hard sometimes but has to be done. I've talked to hubby and we are going to get another shipping crate and I'm going to get 12 hens. I don't want them stressed. I love this site. The knowledge everyone is sharing is invaluable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by