Hen/Rooster sounds...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TubbyChicken, Aug 25, 2008.

1. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    I just picked up several birds yesterday...two I know for sure are hens. (I have 8) The others are still very young and being that I'm an unexperienced chicken person I had to rely on the breeders and what little I've obtained from reading...

I'll post some pics on another thread but I'm obviously new to chickens and curious about the different noises that pullets and cockerals might make. I'm new to chicken noises in general so all the squaking, peeping and bok-bok-bogoking is new to me!

I have one BLRW that is significantly bigger than the other (I was told they were different ages)...one is still peeping but the larger is soooo loud and squaky and "boks" a lot.

Would a bird that's old enough to make those noises start crowing?

2. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm no expert but I have raised a flock this year. Roosters vary when they crow and sound different although 2 can sound exactly alike. They make some funny noises in their early attempts to crow. Some Roos don't crow hardly at all if there is a dominate roo around that keeps them subdued. I've seen them start to crow almost immediately when the dominate roo is removed.
    In general roos are the noisest early on. My hens did not start clucking much until closer to time to lay. It was softer and almost like they were talking to one another. My lead roo does something similar when he wants to point out a new treat etc to his flock.
    When hens lay they sing The Egg Song. It is pretty distinctive.

Now to confuse the issure. I have a dominate BR roo who does the Err-err-err as opposed to Cock a doodle doo. My EE roo was put out to free range with another roo mainly because he was rough with the hens and vied very hard for the Head Roo job. He could crow exactly like my BR. After he started eating my tomatoes I put him back in the run. The BR wasn't brutal but he made it clear he was boss. The easter egger started clucking like a hen apparently to show his submission.

3. Chicken Love Addiction

Chicken Love Addiction Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Salem, OR
    This cracks me up...trying to describe the noises our chickens make! My girls are pretty quiet until I go out in the yard - then they all yell at me to let them out, give them treats etc. Bok-bok bok-bok. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by