Hen rubbing her beak on cage to the point of injury

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zagreus, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Zagreus

Zagreus Hatching

Jan 16, 2018
    Hello
    I have two free ranging hens who only go into their run at night to sleep. In the morning one gets very worked up to go outside and has begun running her beak back and forth along the cage. It didn't seem to be an issue (no marks on her beak or damage to the coop) so I just let her, but this morning it seems that she gave herself a gash on the beak from doing it. It's not very deep but I'm worried if I don't stop her she could hurt herself a lot worse but I'm not sure how to begin curbing the behavior. Has anyone else had this issue? How should I stop it? I would get up earlier but I've seen her start doing this at around 4am and while I will certainly make the effort to let her out before she starts getting upset i'm worried about slipping up and her getting hurt because i slept in.

2. Foster's Freehold

Foster's Freehold Songster

Jun 7, 2013
    South Central KY
    You might want to see if this is self correcting due to pain in running the gash along the wire. Do they have food and water in the coop? I toss a handful of scratch and scuffle it into the litter if it seems I'm going to be late letting them out. Gives them something to do while they wait on me lol. Put treats, toys, interesting things inside the coop.

3. Zagreus

Zagreus Hatching

Jan 16, 2018
    they have food and water, maybe I could try putting something besides scratch in there since they aren't too interested in it?

4. Foster's Freehold

Foster's Freehold Songster

Jun 7, 2013
    South Central KY
    Yep, a cantaloupe cubed up, cherry tomatoes, dried meal worms. Chickweed, salad greens, spinach are all good too. Set up higher and lower places, cut a small hole in a pop bottle and put dried meal worms in it. You'll have to sort of show them what it is. But then they can root that bottle around waiting for the meal worm to drop out lol. This works with so many animals, they actually make toys for it.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Best to have their regular feed ration available at all times that they are awake.
    Scratch should be just a 'treat'.
    What is your regular feed ration?
    How big is their 'cage'?

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: