1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen rubbing her head on the ground and walking backwards! WTHeck?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ZaneyMama, Feb 17, 2011.

1. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    I wish I could get a video, but I've only seen this happen 3 times with this one particular hen, my yellow EE hen Polly. Here's my best attempt at describing it:

It seems like another hen bothers her and then she sticks her head out and rubs it on the ground, walking backwards quickly while she's doing it. It looks like she's got a stick lodged in her throat and she's trying to scrape it out. She does this a couple times.

But, then she stops and walks around as if it never happened.

Has anyone seen anything like this???

2. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    i have no idea, sorry. But you really should get that on video!!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She could have a hair or something on her eye and she's trying to get away from it. My Barred EE hen used to do that and I found she had a cobweb on her eyeball.

4. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    mine do that all the time...i consider it them wiping their faces. no big. but maybe we are not talking about the same thing. does she do it alot after eating?

5. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    It sounds like wry neck to me. Especially if it is a vaulted chicken.
    Not my video I you tubed it to show you wry neck. Watch to the very end I think this is what your girl is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by