Hen rump injury from pecking chickens ,how do I treat?

razzme

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Has bloody pecked rump .not sure what to put on it.Sprayed scarlet oil on it this am and seperated her and freind.Any suggestions appreiciated,thank you.

Hi,

I've used blu-kote on peck wounds with good results. May be similar to what you already used. I have also used pine tar, which is very messy to apply but the other birds seem to hate the taste of it. I was able to leave pecked birds in the coop with the others after putting pine tar on bloody butts, though you have to use your judgement. My hens got one taste and didn't touch the injured hen again. The stuff is also sticky so they get dirt and shavings stuck to it but it works!

If you use pine tar, wear old clothes and rubber gloves and apply it with an old or cheap paint brush that you will use only for applying pine tar. It is sticky and smells strong and is not easy to wash off once it has dried.

Good luck!

Thank you for reply.Scarlett oil seemed to work ,but did pick up bluecoat for later emergency's.Going to keep her seperated with her freind for awhile though both having difficulty with roo.Both need to gain some weight and get feathers back than will try again ,if roo keeps it up he will become chicken and dumplings.thanks again.

We have used black duct tape over pecking wounds after cleaning and applying BlueKote with wonderful success. The duct tape stays on for two or three days, which is usually enough time for good healing to start.

We've also used it on chicks for pecked bums. I love the duct tape.

Em

Back
Top Bottom