Hen,s tail feather being pecked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken garden lady, Sep 18, 2010.

1. chicken garden lady

chicken garden lady In the Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    One of my chickens is missing most of her tail feathers, she is 22 weeks old. She lives with 5 - 23 weeks old girls and 4 two year olds. She is at the lower end of the pecking order. my flock is of several breeds so it's easy for them to tell who's who. I let them out into thier yard every am. I give them treats from the garden, scratch, and sometime boss to scratch around for. they also have layer crumbles free choice. I let them free range most evenings while Iwork in the yard, hawks are migrating though lately. I tried making a clothe cover she hated it. I tried vaseline, they ate it, so I sprinkeled it with cayenne pepper, they don't seem to notice. They haven't broken the skin yet, but how do I stop this bad behavior before they really hurt her?

2. janetk

janetk In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    are you sure the others are pecking the tailfeathers? could be her. check for mites. if her skin is showing and pink-they may be pecking at that. try blu kote. i've used vicks on mine & they don't like that. sounds like you're satisfying their need to peck at food and such. try the search for pecking tailfeathers for other ideas. good luck

3. Quote:Could you tell a newbie what bluecoat is and where do I get it. I have a 5 week old that has had her neck feathers pecked out and I need something that I can treat her with that the others will leave her alone. I really don't have a good facility for separating her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by