1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen saddles...yes or no???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RHBRanch, Apr 12, 2016.

1. RHBRanch

RHBRanch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    North Dakota
    Has anyone ever used hen saddles to protect the hens from the roos?? I'm having a horrible time with the roo tearing up my hens backs. Some of my poor hens are almost featherless! I would normally lock up my roo but my brother and I would like to hatch a few more batches of chicks before locking up the roo. I would appreciate any advise that you have. Thanks in advance!!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Yes - if damage is taking place you need to use a hen saddle.....yesterday.

1 person likes this.
  3. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

How many hens do you have with that roo? I would put an apron on them before I'd let the rooster destroy their backs. Poor hens![​IMG]

4. RHBRanch

RHBRanch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    North Dakota
    I have 30 hens and 1 rooster, and he is always going after the same hens. Today I just noticed one of my hens started to peck one of the hens with the missing feathers so I'd like to get this problem stopped before it gets any worse. I found a few patterns to make the saddles so I'm just going through my fabric to see if I have any that would work for the saddles. Plus hoping I have the interfacing and elastic to make them tonight...or at least one of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by