Hen saddles

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by moosehorn2015, Feb 28, 2015.

1. moosehorn2015

moosehorn2015 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Maine
    I'm finally being forced to use a hen saddle with one of my layers. I have one roo and 12 hens, and was hoping he wouldn't have a favorite, but he does and while I noticed "tread marks" a week ago, now she has a raw spot the size of a quarter on her back... She's separated now with one of her buddies, but at this point a hen saddle is a must until she heals up. So, I was wondering what peoples experiences are with saddles and what brand you prefer. I have five feet of snow on the ground, and only one coop for now, so she has to go inside at night with the others, then separated outside during the day. Snow pack and frigid temps are limiting my options right now.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    No experience, have only hens. But seems you should make one asap and not wait for shopping or delivery. Here's a link for a no sew saddle article from Mother Earth News:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/chicken-saddle-zbcz1305.aspx

You could use an old pair of jeans or cloth.

If you do sew, there are some on line free patterns to make, but the no sew one would be the most expedient.

3. moosehorn2015

moosehorn2015 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Maine
    I made one! :) It's working out great... :) Thank you for link.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Glad it worked out, and hope it does the job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by