Hen Saddles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bantyhen, Mar 7, 2015.

1. bantyhen

bantyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    North Carolina
    One of my hens (an Ameraucana named Chocolate) has a bare back from the roosters treading on her back. I was wondering where to buy hen saddles. I was thinking about ordering them online.

2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Yeah, online!! I think there was a member selling them too, but I just can't thimnk of her name!

3. SixChickFlock

SixChickFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Chicago - Old Irving Park
    Hello!

Do you have photos you can share? I, too have a hen with bare spots on her back between the wings. Looks like rooster damage. My other 7 hens are fine...

Thanks

4. darkbrahmamama

darkbrahmamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
  5. georgejlee

georgejlee Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    San Mateo, CA
    I just put a hen saddle on one of my chickens. I got a Hen Saver saddle and bought it on Amazon. One of my hens was missing some feathers due to pecking. The pecking seems to have stopped for the most part, but I want to protect my hen's bare spots to give the feathers a chance to grow back completely. Hopefully this will help. After I put on the hen saddle, all the other chickens freaked out and were terrified of the hen with the saddle, but they seem okay now after a few hours. The hen seems used to it now as well. Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by