Hen Savers--Hawk Protection???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by woodmort, Nov 26, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    I dunno - I have a homemade saddle on one hen 'cause of rooster tracks, but I don't think it would have saved the cockerel I lost this afternoon. It looks like the hawk hit him really hard about 1" below the head, on his neck.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Maybe if they cover a larger area of the bird's body than shown in the photo, and are made of kevlar? [​IMG]

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I would think anything with a cloth weave could give the tallons a gripping surface for a larger hawk or eagle. The velocity of some attacks would stun the chicken for a 2nd or 3rd hit. Also the cost of the armor and the # of attacks just doesn't justify itself. I've had two hawk attacks and both were failures on the hawk's part. But the chickens learned a vauluable lesson and scoot even when the sillouett of a buzzard appears.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I wonder if you put sewed "eyes" on the center of an apron if that would help? Just thinking of the masks that people in India wear on the backs of their heads to discourage tiger attacks. I don't know if that would work for a raptor but I wonder if they thought that the chicken was "looking" at them they might think twice about attacking? Just a thought. [​IMG]

6. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    That is an interesting idea! But i wonder what the other chickens would do, mine seem to be nuts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by