1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen scalped by Roos ?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JHann777, Jul 3, 2016.

1. JHann777

JHann777 New Egg

Jul 3, 2016
    My roosters have been trying to mount the hens for a day or two now . One of my hens "precious" was missing some feathers around her neck and I looked closer and to my horror her neck was split open from the roosters trying to hang on ! I brought her inside cleaned the wound up and applied some neosporin (not much for fear or over doing it ). She is eating and drinking ok for now but seems kind of drained ? I am worried about my other hens? That this might happen to them too ? Should I be looking into getting rid of some of the roosters so they are not picked on so much ? I have 4 hens in the coop and 6 roosters ? This is my first batch of chickens and I really think I have too many roosters that keep picking on the hens? The other hens that I checked were fine so I dunno how this one got a gash that bad ! Hope she pulls through , should thier be anything else I should be doing ? What can I give her for pain ? I feel so bad that this happened [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    You have waaaay to many roosters, you should definitely look into re-homing all but 1 or 2 if you add more hens.

Don't worry about her pain too much (you can feed her a 1/3 baby asprin if you'd like but not neccesary). She needs to be kept in a dog crate or box away from the other chickens until she recovers. Great job on the neosporin and she should recover fine!

3. JHann777

JHann777 New Egg

Jul 3, 2016
    Thank you so much ! I will be getting baby aspirin in the am . Yea me and my husband will be working on finding someone to take the roosters tommmorrow. We will be keeping just the biggest one . Thank you so much for the reply , I really should have been more prepared but I am learning and adjusting as I go . Thank you again [​IMG].

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Yeah no worries, keeping chickens is all about the learning process :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by