Hen scared me to death.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by terrilhb, May 23, 2011.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Yesterday my DH and I were working on building a pasture area for our goats. I let my 1 hen Star out. She is healing from overzealous rooster. She is the most loving and sweetest girl. Had her out with the 4 goats and 4 dogs. I was watching her and everyone. She was scratching around following the goats and dogs. One minute she was here the next she is just gone. I call and call and no Star. My Dh and I start looking and calling and expanding our search. I call my DD and am crying and tell her to hurry home and help me. We are looking in the woods and I am feeling like the most horrible mom in the world. There was no feathers nothing. My dogs never barked or growled and the other chickens never made a noise. So I have no idea what got her. We walked through the woods and down the road just in case. By know I am completely devastated. Crying terribly. I go to walk to the woods again and see my 1 dog Cujo(he is a baby his name does not fit him) laying by the shed. He keeps looking at me and than back under the shed. So I get down on my hands and knees and there she is dustbathing under the shed. She see's me and makes her happy hen noises. Like What Mom? I am here staying cool. I was so relieved I cried again. Got her out and she went back up. I just thank God she is ok. So becareful. Hens like to hide.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    When something like this happens to me I just have to laugh at myself. Sometimes I wonder if my chickens are sillier than me after all.

Glad you found your girl safe and happy!!

3. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    Awww, you must have been so relieved to see her under there! What a great dog, to alert you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by