Hen scared me to death.

terrilhb

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Georgia
Yesterday my DH and I were working on building a pasture area for our goats. I let my 1 hen Star out. She is healing from overzealous rooster. She is the most loving and sweetest girl. Had her out with the 4 goats and 4 dogs. I was watching her and everyone. She was scratching around following the goats and dogs. One minute she was here the next she is just gone. I call and call and no Star. My Dh and I start looking and calling and expanding our search. I call my DD and am crying and tell her to hurry home and help me. We are looking in the woods and I am feeling like the most horrible mom in the world. There was no feathers nothing. My dogs never barked or growled and the other chickens never made a noise. So I have no idea what got her. We walked through the woods and down the road just in case. By know I am completely devastated. Crying terribly. I go to walk to the woods again and see my 1 dog Cujo(he is a baby his name does not fit him) laying by the shed. He keeps looking at me and than back under the shed. So I get down on my hands and knees and there she is dustbathing under the shed. She see's me and makes her happy hen noises. Like What Mom? I am here staying cool. I was so relieved I cried again. Got her out and she went back up. I just thank God she is ok. So becareful. Hens like to hide.

When something like this happens to me I just have to laugh at myself. Sometimes I wonder if my chickens are sillier than me after all.

Glad you found your girl safe and happy!!

Back
Top Bottom