1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen scooting under hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lovemy6hens, May 6, 2016.

1. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Our girl Lucy (easter egger) has been scooting sideways underneath one of our other girls, Donkey Kong (australorp). For a few months, Lucy has been doing this on the roost. Donkey Kong refuses to give up her spot until Lucy scoots under enough to shove her off the roost. I understand that behavior.

Here is what I don't understand: she started doing this during the day last week. She scoots under sideways and peeks her head out like a baby chick under mama hen. She doesn't push then and Donkey Kong doesn't feel the need to move. We had to put our other easter egger, Dirty Birdie, to sleep last week and Lucy seems kind of lost; they had been with us since they were 1 day old. They were 2.5 yrs old. What is going on?
    EDIT: Lucy started losing feathers last week when Dirty Birdie didn't come home.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Sounds like she's very stressed out.

3. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Yes, definitely. She followed Dirty Birdie everywhere and they would preen together every evening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by