Hen scratched her eyeball, always keeps eye closed!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jodievaughan, Dec 29, 2016.

1. jodievaughan

jodievaughan New Egg

Dec 29, 2016
    She is relatively young, about 25 weeks old now. A few days ago, I noticed she had one eye closed. I sat her down in a warm bath and had a look, her eye looked possibly just slightly 'cloudy', but it may well have been nothing, but what I definitely saw was a big line across her eyeball. I very carefully tried to move what I thought might be a very thin strip of something in the field, but it didn't move at all after several attempts, and I'm pretty certain she has scratcher her eyeball. It's across the middle of her eye.

Are there any steps I can take to make this better for her? Is this going to heal or will she be permanently looking with one eye? Do you think she may be blinded?

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Pics?I would buy some Eye ointment for chickens and apply it daily and would see if that works.

Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You can rinse her eye with peoples clear eyes solution......Even warm water and a Q-tip......

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  4. jodievaughan

jodievaughan New Egg

Dec 29, 2016
    I think I'd struggle to get a photo, she really doesn't like me touching her face, it took a long time to get a good look! I can try though!

Is ointment necessary at this stage? As it isn't looking at all infected, not even irritated! So far, all I have done is gently wipe her eye with water and a new cloth. I've only done that once, because she hated it!

5. chickens really

No need to monkey with it if it seems to be getting better.....I never do much for my Birds...They heal and all is well....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Eye ointment will help heal.Neosproin will work too.You can try rinsing it with water but if that doesn't work i would use Neosporin.

1 person likes this.
  7. jodievaughan

jodievaughan New Egg

Dec 29, 2016
    Thank you everyone! does anyone have any idea if this is going to cause sight damage for her? The scratch isn't ridiculously deep I don't think, it's not half way into her eye, but it did surprise me. I am guessing that she keeps the eye closed mainly because the sunlight probably hurts her?

8. chickens really

No one can actually say yes or no?.......Time will tell....

Best of luck....Happy New Years.....

Cheers!

9. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    It may heal up and it might not.It depends how deep it is and where the scratch is located.

Hopefully it heals up[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by