Hen seems off

TheSpicyHens

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2022
Hi Everyone,

Looking for a little bit of guidance/advice.
We have a 2 year old Barred Rock that doesn't seem herself. She doesn't appear to be sick- she isn't lethargic, no change in appetite, she is drinking normally, foraging when free ranging, her abdomen is soft and feels normal, however she seems droopy and not as active, my daughter noticed her blinking funnily and we did notice that she had one watery BM- it was normal in color otherwise. I'm not sure if she has laid an egg today, she is 1 of 12 that we have. We're planning to give her a warm bath and isolate her. I'm not sure what else to do or what it could be.

Thank you in advance!

Hello! I would give her a calcium citrate pill and continue to monitor. Is it hot where you are?
Thank you! Thats a great idea I think we have some of that on hand. It's not as hot as it has been, it's only in the 80's today.

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a little bit of guidance/advice.
We have a 2 year old Barred Rock that doesn't seem herself. She doesn't appear to be sick- she isn't lethargic, no change in appetite, she is drinking normally, foraging when free ranging, her abdomen is soft and feels normal, however she seems droopy and not as active, my daughter noticed her blinking funnily and we did notice that she had one watery BM- it was normal in color otherwise. I'm not sure if she has laid an egg today, she is 1 of 12 that we have. We're planning to give her a warm bath and isolate her. I'm not sure what else to do or what it could be.

Thank you in advance!
Welcome to BYC! :frow

What you describe are not signs of egg binding. I personally would not bathe at this point. Always use YOUR best judgement though!

Perhaps at her age she will be approaching molt?? Genetics, nutrition, and daylight (location in the world) will impact this some

One watery bm isn't yet cause for alarm since all urates pass in that manner. And there is no change in appetite or other symptoms of concern noted. Is she also still passing regular droppings?

Usually in my experience.. if a keeper thinks something is off, they are often correct and vigilance (or further investigation) is recommended.

Please post a video of the blinking that has you concerned. Use Youtube or other platform then post the link here.

What is her standard feed routine including treats and supplements?

Welcome to BYC! :frow

What you describe are not signs of egg binding. I personally would not bathe at this point. Always use YOUR best judgement though!

Perhaps at her age she will be approaching molt?? Genetics, nutrition, and daylight (location in the world) will impact this some

One watery bm isn't yet cause for alarm since all urates pass in that manner. And there is no change in appetite or other symptoms of concern noted. Is she also still passing regular droppings?

Usually in my experience.. if a keeper thinks something is off, they are often correct and vigilance (or further investigation) is recommended.

Please post a video of the blinking that has you concerned. Use Youtube or other platform then post the link here.

What is her standard feed routine including treats and supplements?
Thank you! We've held off on the bath as of now, but she has had a few more watery BM's and her feathers look like they need to be cleaned.

We're keeping an eye on her now, but she isn't 100% herself. She is still eating and drinking. I'll try to get a video of her blinking, it seems to be pretty intermittent.

We have an organic layer feed, oyster shells, we do ACV in their water, mealworms as a treat, and fruits and veggies, plus they free range a lot.

but she has had a few more watery BM's and her feathers look like they need to be cleaned.
Only watery droppings, or in addition to some regular ones?

Dirty feathers are a good reason to clean up.. even if egg binding is not suspected. Also a good chance to take note of skin condition below the vent.. is it light pink or angry red? Notice any pin feathers?

Sometimes (not always) it can be an indicator of intestinal parasites. Many vets will do a fecal float test/exam to help rule in or out and identify exactly which species need to be treated for since medications vary and I usually advocate the practice instead of treating what you don't have. They can however sometimes pass intermittently and not show up on the float.. only large round worm species and tape worms can be seen in dropping by the naked eye.

Back
Top Bottom