Hen seems sleepy, off balance, not drinking but will eat some. Also chronic diarrhea most of her lif

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sezua, Jan 1, 2015.

1. sezua

sezua Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    Texas
    Our hen Willow has been sick. It started off I noticed her cleaning and preening a lot and not eating much. I dusted her real good with DE. Then a few days later I noticed she still wasn't eating and her diarrhea was getting worse like water then nothing at all. She was getting thin at that point so I panicked and took her to the vet. They did a fecal float and there were no parasites. Since she is 9 months old and not laying yet we did an xray to check for being egg bound and she was not. They put her on SMZ temp oral in case of bacterial infection. She is very very slowly getting better. I have been bringing her inside during the day to make sure she eats without getting picked on and putting her in the coop to sleep with her flock at night. Any suggestions as to what else I can do or what you may think is wrong? Tomorrow I am going to observe her with the flock and see if she will eat with them but she defers to them to the point she wont eat around them. It's a small flock of four.

2. Maybe try to give her some diluted water with Epsom salts. when you touch her, is she hot or cold?

3. sezua

sezua Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    Texas
    Her temperature seems ok when I touch her. I can try the epsom salts but will that interfere with antibiotic she's on since it would be flushing her system right?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would not use epsom salts since it will cause more diarrhea. That is used more for treatment of vent gleet. Probiotics and vitamins would be good to give as soon as the sulfa drug is finished. After using them for several days, you could then decrease to 2-3 days a week. Fecal floats are not always accurate, so I would worm her with Valbazen after the antibiotic is finished, and she has a few days to rest. Dosage is 1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days. I would also put out multiple feeding stations and waterers for awhile to encourage her to eat without being bullied.
    edited for spelling

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  5. sezua

sezua Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    Texas
    Well they beat her up this morning must have been in the dark because I was out there before sunrise. Now I am doctoring a bloody comb..poor Willow. :( I knew something was wrong the minute I walked up and she heard my voice she started her sad mournful cluck. I need to isolate her so she can rest and heal. She seems to be calm and ok in my bathroom but after the third day of doing this we need a better solution. Also, that is probably what caused the attack. I guess they already forgot about her.
    I am thinking a dog crate I have seen others use will be a better situation and she can be around them and safe.
    Hope the stress of this doesn't set her back! :(
    I will definitely try the wormer because we have diarrhea butts with two of the other hens also. I am giving her the SMZ for two weeks so it will be a while before I can give it to her...thank you!

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    SMZ-TMP is usually given for 5 days to birds. Can you double check the length of time with your vet, since sulfa drugs can cause problems if given too long or in too high of a dose. Sorry about poor Willow getting her comb bloodied.

7. sezua

sezua Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    Texas
    Well, I got a second opinion because the SMZ wasn't working and it turns out she has bad yeast/fungus infection. She was full of the yeast/ fungus and very weak. She's lost half her body weight and we are trying to bring her back. She is showing tiny signs of improvement like standing and eating some. We are having to force feed to get her the calories she needs. She still can't walk and wobbly but most likely from weakness. The poor baby has been sick for a while with this. As long as we see improvement we are going to keep going and she has improved some. Do you know if birds can rebound completely from something like this? I understand fungal infections are hard on them but since she is young I am hoping she can make it.

I am also trying 1 ml of unactivated oxine in 1 gallon on water for the rest of the girls just in case. I have read many places that this shows to work. I will try that for 5 days then swich to vitamin/probiotic for a while then need to consider worning because they are overdue. I will definitely try the valbazene it seems most effective.
    Thanks again for your help,

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm just nosy because I like to learn, but how did you determine she had the fungal infection? Does she have sour crop or vent gleet, which are 2 common fungal infections that may be connected, or did your vet discover it? We all learn from each other here. What treatment are you using? There are some antifungal drugs that can be used, such as Nystatin and fluconazole. Also acidifying the water might help.

9. sezua

sezua Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    Texas
    The vet discovered it she was with them for three days. She is full of some kind of yeast that they had never seen before. They have been force feeding her and giving Enroflaxacin antibiotic and itraconazole for fungus. Very strong drugs that are taking their toll on her already weak system. They said everything they were doing I could do at home except for the force feeding which they wouldn't show me how to do and didn't recommend me doing it. She ate 5 mealworms when I got her home. I let her sleep through the night and now I will see what I can coax her with this morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by