Hen seems to be broody, in November!

homemakerjulie

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
west central, MO
Has anyone had a hen go broody in November and go on to actually have chicks live? She is a pullet about 7 months old. It would be neat if she hatched them, our last broody had her eggs taken by an opossum a few days before they were to hatch, just u sure of the cold and chicks!

Well, I have a broody, but I doubt the eggs she's sitting on are fertile. As long as she has a safe, draft free area, she should be able to take care of (keep warm enough) any chicks that might hatch. You might find a way to section her off a spot in the coop if the chicks hatch, so other hens/roos don't bother them...

My broody hatched her chicks 10 days ago. I was amazed a couple of mornings ago when I went out to feed and the low that night was 22 degrees (we live in the mountains) and the babies were out from under mom running all over the place! They soon scurried back under mom for a minute or so and then back out to play!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I have THREE broodies right now! 3 out of 13 pullets that I got at the same time from Ameraucana breeder John Blehm in Michigan.

The first baby (or babies) were born just today!

My girls (and their roo) were born in late April.

Two other girls are also brooding right now. If the first momma hatches enough eggs, I may snatch some of her babies and give them to the other two broodies so that I don't get saddled down with a bunch of babies that are not the same age.

Glad to know it's possible. If she makes it all the way through I will put them inside the coop. She is pretty safe where she is at (under the house right in the middle, and the opossum is gone now!) I am excited about having little chicks
smile.png

Julie

Back
Top Bottom