Hen separating herself and staying outside

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bridgekeeper, Jan 14, 2015.

1. bridgekeeper

bridgekeeper New Egg

Jan 14, 2015
    Having a problem with pecking. I have 5 hens and 2 are getting pecked. I actually saw one of the wounded peck the other wounded hen. Nonetheless, one hen will NOT come in the coop at night. She is staying out in the freezing cold. She goes in to lay eggs and get food/water during the day but when I check them at night, she isn't in. I have a coop that fits up to 8 chickens, a heat lamp that I leave on at night ( it's been in the teens here). One night she was in and I went to shut the automatic door and she actually RAN out. I can't get to her because she goes to a very tight space.
    I put grease on her back which seems to be a remedy recommended by 2 old farmers I talked with. This should stop the pecking but she needs to get warm. This same hen was pecked early on in her life by someone in this flock. It's the only flock I've had. No new additions.
    I know that's a lot of info but I'd hate to lose her to weather.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Actually you can treat her wounds with Blu-kote it hides the reddened or sore spots and tastes bad. You should also put your two pecking hens in solitaire - individual crates for a few days, so they can't bother anyone else. It will also give you the chance to see if you have others doing the pecking. Usually birds with no bald spots or sores ARE the ones doing the damage. Your two wounded may be pecking each other because someone got to them first. Once chickens see a wound or sore or any redness they keep on pecking, and that can continue till the poor bird is dead.

First is there ample room in your coop/run so the birds are not crowded. Crowded chickens tend to attack each other. Have you checked them all for mites? Do they have something to keep them preoccupied? Some folks like to suspend a head of cabbage just above their heads. The birds will jump to get some and keep busy and get worn out.

The poor hen that is being bothered is plainly afraid of being ambushed in the coop. She may feel safer when she realized those two can't hurt her. If possible - when you close up the coop get her first, to make sure she is inside and put on a roost before you lock up. Outside she will be a victim to predators and the weather.

Are your chickens all the same breed? Sometimes a different breed will get bullied. If they don't stop bullying your poor hen. It may be kinder to find her another home, or make a housepet out of her. Many people are doing so for various reasons. There is a very good thread on BYC called "People with house chickens."

PS block off the tight spot your hen runs too - so you will be able to catch her and put her elsewhere.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I hope with the excelent advice drumstick diva has left you, you can have harmony return to your birds. Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

5. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

6. bridgekeeper

bridgekeeper New Egg

Jan 14, 2015
    Thank you so much for all the great info. My outside sleeper actually went into the coop last night after I greased her back.Yeah! The other hen that was getting pecked looks a little more red today. I will regrease. I have 5 different breeds. They are picking on my Araucana and Delaware. I hung the cabbage, will turn off the light at night and try to get her in first. Geez, having kids is easier:) My coop is a fancy amish built one that is built for 6-8 chickens. I have 5. I have also attached a 12x12 run to their coop and let them free range very often ( at least 5 times a week). here are a few pics just for fun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

I'm sorry to hear about your fighting and injured hens. drumstick diva gave you some good advice. Good luck with them!

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by