Hen sex change..

You thinking it was a leghorn has thrown your perspective, because you were waiting for a giant floppy red comb. That's not going to happen because he doesn't have that comb type.

I think he is something mixed with a silkie. That little crest and the comb and the shape. He is a very handsome boy.

You thinking it was a leghorn has thrown your perspective, because you were waiting for a giant floppy red comb. That's not going to happen because he doesn't have that comb type.

I think he is something mixed with a silkie. That little crest and the comb and the shape. He is a very handsome boy.
Not a silkie, or he'd have dark skin, and feathered legs.

Not necessarily. A silkie mixed with another breed can have any colour leg or skin or comb from the other parent and feathered or clean feet, 4 or 5 toes. I know this because I breed silkie mixes.

I once had a chick with 4 toes on one foot and 5 on the other!
Not true…..silkie mixes can result in clean legs, yellow legs, and 4 toes And that is in an F1 cross. Beyond that, who knows.
A silkie mix is possible, but unlikely in this case. The only similarity I really see is the crest, since the comb is a pea rather than a walnut (silkies have a walnut comb). I would expect at least one other trait to come through if he was a silkie mix, such as the round body shape.

A silkie mix is possible, but unlikely in this case. The only similarity I really see is the crest since the comb is a pea rather than a walnut (silkies have a walnut comb). I would expect at least one other trait to come through if he was a silkie mix, such as the round body shape.
No I was not indicating that I thought this birds was a silkie…..at least not an F1…..but the pullet in the photo is definite possibility……only stating that silkie mixes do not inherit all silkie traits. And since you mention comb……hatchery quality silkies can sometimes deviate from the norm. I ended up with at least 1 silkie chick that had a single comb out of a batch of 25 ordered.

No I was not indicating that I thought this birds was a silkie…..at least not an F1…..but the pullet in the photo is definite possibility……only stating that silkie mixes do not inherit all silkie traits. And since you mention comb……hatchery quality silkies can sometimes deviate from the norm. I ended up with at least 1 silkie chick that had a single comb out of a batch of 25 ordered.
The pullet in the picture looks like either a purebred cream legbar or a mix of one. I’ve seen silkies with pea combs (and single combs) but the absence of any other definite silkie traits is what I was trying to point out.

A silkie mix is possible, but unlikely in this case. The only similarity I really see is the crest, since the comb is a pea rather than a walnut (silkies have a walnut comb). I would expect at least one other trait to come through if he was a silkie mix, such as the round body shape.
Walnut combs don't necessarily breed true in a mixed breed. Walnut hides other comb types in the genetics of a walnut combed chicken.

I don't fully understand it but this kind of explains it.

Screenshot_20210618-130518_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back
Top Bottom