Hen shaking head, sneezing, mouth open/chattering & bugs???

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
A hen is shaking it's head side to side in a circular pattern, what could be wrong?
She is also opening her mouth, kinda yawning-like. She chatters too, but not to talk.

I also noticed tiny white, slender bugs.

Do I use Seven Dust for the bugs? How do I dust them....because when I dust my dogs with DE, they just shake it off and none is really on them anymore...
What do I do about the other issues?

Last edited:
The shaking the head and yawning sounds like gapeworms. Try Ivermectin its a horse dewormer you can get it at your local feed store usually. use a tiny bee-bee sized drop and watch her for 24 hours, it can have adverse effects sometimes so its a gamble.

Check her crop, she may have something stuck. Gently massage. Offer her a small piece of bread with some olive oil on it, and massage again. Sometimes that helps. Just because she shakes her head and yawns, does not mean that she has gapeworm. I would separate her, and withhold her food for the night, so her crop will empty. Make sure she has water though. See how she is in the morning.

When you dust with Sevin 5%, make sure you get the back of the neck, under the wings, stomach area and around the vent area. Do not get it in their face.

Last edited:
Could they do this right after they eat something off?
I noticed she eats, then gapes and drinks water and more water while moving her head and all. Then goes back to eat.

Her crop is small, does that have any effect on it?

Back
Top Bottom