1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen shaking head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmccann, Nov 28, 2011.

1. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    My hen Bevis started to shake her head yesterday,She is a red sexlink 2.6 years old.I do not think she is laying now. I checked for parasites found nothing but dusted her.I can tell something is really bothering her she is not her greedy self.No other signs of any thing else.If she would have a bug in her ear,how would i know? Has any one used the kitten pyrethrin on hens with good results? thx

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    [​IMG]

I don't know about the kitten pyrethrin.... Have you ever wormed her? Have you wormed the flock? When, how, with what, repeated?

I think ... and, I only think (don't know for sure)... it seems that they shake their head when they have a "runny nose"? Check to see if you see any wet around her nostrils.

Worms can cause a multitude of symptoms, all kinds of things. If you haven't, you might want to worm the flock. Individually, orally, with Valbazen, twice.. you can get all the info you need on these worming and giving oral medications by searching here on BYC.

Good info from dawg53... maybe search "runny nose"... "head shaking"... "Worming with Valbazen"... "Giving oral medications".

I think the Sevin Dust is best for external parasites... clean coop, roosts, nesting boxes, add a little sprinkle of Sevin dust to each of those as well. Now and then for prevention or treatment. If you actually see mites or lice, then treat and repeat in ten days.

Good luck.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Search also for "ear infection". They can get those too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by