1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Shyness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenmyster, Oct 12, 2013.

1. chickenmyster

chickenmyster New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    Help, I am new to raising chickens. I recently added to two new hens to my existing flock of 4, different breed white & grey and white & black. One went in coop and other took off to the woods. She returned after 5 days and is now in coop. The two new hens will not come out of the coop. How do I get them to go out. I think the rooster is keeping them in there...

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Food. Something they can't resist.

First of all, take the feeder out of the coop. Move it to the run. They will come out to eat.

If you want to tame them, find a treat that they can't resist. Sit down on the ground, quietly, holding the treat out. As they nibble on it, bring your hand closer in to your body so they have to move in. Do this every day until they are hopping into your lap for the treat. After about a week of this, they should begin to accept petting them while they are nibbling the treat.

After a month of this, they should be thoroughly corrupted, I mean tamed.

3. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    Wont chockens poop on your lap while your holding them. I hold mine while im standing and their butt is pointed out away from my body.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Adult chickens rarely poop on your lap, but it does happen once in a while. No big deal. I just go change clothes. I expect to get kind of dirty going into a chicken pen, even though mine is kept pretty clean.

The more relaxed you act around your chickens, the more they will trust you. Try not to worry about getting pooped on. It mostly won't happen.

5. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    If you're worried about getting pooped on, drape an old towel across your lap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by