hen sick update

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmccann, Jul 24, 2011.

1. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I posted friday about my hen,fluids comming from mouth when picked up,slow moving wheezing, i treated for egg bound even tho she has not laid in over 1 mo. I thought sour crop but i do not know, anyways Fri evening she improved some,Sat afternoon i was ready to burry her ,She has been in the basement,eating sm amount of canned cat food,yougart,and tomatoe,no interest in water.Her output is thin white with bits of matter that look like small pellets(they get crumbles)She is an olive egger ,2 yr and 4 mo old,any been the picked on one slow moving,if u would throw treats out she would lokk at everyone eating ,she made asthma sounds a year ago.I started her on inj tylan 50.Does anyone have any ideas,she is still wheezing,Any hope? thank u

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I do not have an answer for you but maybe someone will chime in here tonight and give you an answer. I am so sorry about your hen. [​IMG]

3. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    thx she is still alive this morning but breathing is no better,she seems mure tired.I am out of ideas.

4. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    [​IMG]

Hope someone can help [​IMG]

Praying for you and your hen

5. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Thank u ,when i check on her ,she has her little head laying down,eyes shut,she then raises her head upon my voice.It is sad the vets around me r so expensive,the last em.visit cost me 95.00 just to walk into the room,then all they did was xray yes an egg is stuck,i with the help of this forum saved her,reading all the past posts and everything i could find on the net.Thank u for your prayers,i feel that is all i have left.

6. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    this heat is making it hard for them too. try to give her some electrolyte solution in her water if can get her to drink. People use ACV, natural kind, in their water for CRD also. hope she gets better

7. Daisy668

Daisy668 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    My chicken did the exact same but she never came up again so she's obviously stronger. What i did was massage her crop as i was told they can get food stuck in their crop and it get inected causing them to die. Massage her crop would be the only thing to suggest. she is very young so should pull through but she sounds in a bad way. If it has already been infected trying feeding her yoghurt through a syringe..
    Hope she pulls through and this helps..
    Daisy. xx [​IMG]

8. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    My hen is still alive,still hard breathing,still in the house.I take her outside 2 x day she will only walk a couple steps then lays down.She is eating very little,soft egg,yougart,tomatoe,very very little.Still giving tylan 50 injections.Poo is watery whitish with green in it,i can not find any pictures,would a weak heart give these symptons? I do not know what else to do the vet is out of the question,any help,any suggestions,thx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by