1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen singing even at dark

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shannon84, Jan 9, 2017.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    I was just wondering if anyone else's hen "sings" a lot on the roost and at night I can hear her clear as day singing pretty loud. What's this mean and is it normal? Thanks.

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Firstly, is she definitely a hen and not a cockerel? If you are not certain, post a photo of him/her.

If she is definitely female, is she singing the egg song or just chattering? Some hens can be quite vocal, but it is unusual to be noisy at night unless there is something upsetting them....predator perhaps or rats?

If she is an older hen, it does occasionally happen that they start to crow like a rooster and I believe it can be associated with reproductive problems and a resulting change in hormone levels.

They are the only things that spring to mind at the moment.

Regards

Barbara

3. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    she's 3 or 4 I got her from my dad this past summer. She's a very vocal chicken, it's constant chatter. No rats or predators. I notice she does it like right before she goes to sleep. But she does it alot throughout the day. Thanks Barbara! She sounds happy with the chattering. I'm new with chickens and I just thought it was a little odd. Im scared she will draw in predators.

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    It sounds like she is just making sure everyone knows she is claiming her place on the roost. You obviously recognise that it is a "happy" chatter and not an alarm call, so I wouldn't be worried. If she was continuing through the night, that might be another matter. Just out of curiosity, what breed is she? I usually find that it is the "big personality" breeds that are the most vocal when it comes to hens.... my leghorns are usually very chatty.

5. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    that's what I was thinking as well, because she is my dominant hen on top of peaking order for sure ha. She is a new Hampshire red. My other new hampshire red hen is so quiet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by