Hen sitting in corner and screaming at me if I reach for her.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pearsam, Dec 17, 2011.

1. pearsam

pearsam Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    I have a Silkie hen, she laid and egg this morning. Then moved into the bathroom in a corner where shes be sitting most of the day. When I reach for her she screams. I thought she might be trying to laid another egg or have one stuck but she won't let me pick her up. Can anyone help me?

2. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Broody! She intendsto KEEP her precious egg, and lay another one tomorrow, and the next day, then she wants babies. Don't mind if she screams - you're the one in charge, do with her what YOU want.

3. JoshDeere

JoshDeere Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2011
    she is going to try and hatch the eggs after she collects some. if you don't want chick remove her from the nest and destroy the eggs.if you want chicks let her be.[​IMG]

4. pearsam

pearsam Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    My Mom said she was acting like she was going to set. But she's only 7 months old and we were not sure. Should I just make her get up or leave her alone?

5. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Put on your oven mitts and show her who is HEAD of the coop! Yep, at 7 months old a Silkie could be broody. Good luck, gotta love the passion of a broody hen.

6. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If she is broody she won't get up but you can take the eggs.

7. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Why is she in the bathroom?

8. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Depends on if you have a rooster and if you can take care of more baby chicks. Can't have baby chicks without a rooster. If you want to let her hatch babies, let her keep them. If you don't want baby chicks, take the eggs away. It'd also be a good idea at that point to get her to stop being broody. You can do that by putting her in a wire bottomed cage with food and water but no nesting box. She should stop being broody in a few days.

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by