Hen sitting on dirty eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunlitmoonlight, Jun 6, 2011.

1. sunlitmoonlight

sunlitmoonlight Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi all. My silkie is sitting on VERY dirty eggs. She is in day 7 now and has only left the nest once. Some of the eggs are almost totally covered in pooh. Do I remove and wash the eggs? If so, any suggestions on how to wash the eggs? Thanks.

2. Quinn4321

Quinn4321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    If you see her get off i would carefully remove the eggs, 1 at a time and gently rub the pooh off with a warm, damp cloth. She may not be a very good broody if she is not getting off once a day to releive herself as most hens do.

3. sunlitmoonlight

sunlitmoonlight Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks for reply. I am now removing her once a day to relieve herself. She does have water and food to mouth in her nesting box but does not eat or drink. I do believe that removing her daily to eat, drink and relieve is helping her as she relieves herself immediately once removed from the nest, she then calls the rooster, does her little dance, eats, drinks, has her sand bath then goes back to the nest. I cleaned the eggs, and since I remove her daily, no more dirty eggs. Candled the eggs yesterday and all 7 are alive and moving. Thanks for advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by