1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen sitting on empty nest.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by bigspringshatchery, May 15, 2011.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    My royal palm hen is sitting on a empty nest. When I let them put she will run around the yard for maybe 15 min but she will head right back to the nest box. She's only laid one egg last week, how can I break her from sitting on a empty nest? Would she hatch chicken eggs since they hatch 7 days earlier than turkey?

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I believe she will hatch chickens and mother them.

Maybe someone will see this and tell you the best way to break em...I usually let em hatch.

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    CONGRATZ!!!! you have a broodie. you can either a. put fertile eggs under her and let her do her thing ooooorrr there is plan b. which inolves you buying day old chicks and sticking them under her. Most people prefer to do it at night, but with my silkie i just take her eggs and stick them in a box with the babies and then grab the babies and stick them under her and BAMB the eggs hatched, and you do a celebration with her [​IMG] and tell her how amazing of a mother she is [​IMG].

4. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Quote:Yes this is my first broody. I'm thinking of buying some marans eggs and sticking them under her. Maybe she will hatch them better than I'm having luck with. Do I need to move her into a pen by herself since she is in with toms and I let them out during some days. She usually leaves the nest and goes back in. Will it hurt the eggs if she leaves the nest to free range for a bit? I have no clue on how to handle a broody.

5. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Yes this is my first broody. I'm thinking of buying some marans eggs and sticking them under her. Maybe she will hatch them better than I'm having luck with. Do I need to move her into a pen by herself since she is in with toms and I let them out during some days. She usually leaves the nest and goes back in. Will it hurt the eggs if she leaves the nest to free range for a bit? I have no clue on how to handle a broody.

I dont believe you will need to move her but thats all up to you, when my chickens go i dont move them. How long does she free range for? you can try and put some feed infront of her so se doesn't have to go far. I am not sure what the time is for turkeys.

6. GJ_Kate

GJ_Kate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    My BR hen went broody on an empty nest this last week also! So I put 5 chicken eggs under her. I'll try candling in a week and if they're not developing, I'll see if I can find some day old chicks.
    Along the same lines, when will she start laying again? How long after she gets chicks? If I hadn't put chicken eggs under her, and she wasn't laying, then I wonder how long until she gave up and went back to laying...

7. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    DO NOT I REPEET DO NOT GIVE HER THE CHICKS 'TILL SHE IS 3 WEEKS ON THE NEST!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    If she or no other turkeys are laying to get eggs from, get some cheep chicken or turkey eggs and put them under her. I would not go buy maran eggs to put under her. If this is her first time, she may quit 15 days into it or she may do great. If you do put eggs under her, do not stagger the eggs but put them all in at once. I would remove the tom because RP toms tend to go broody in a pen and he will brake the eggs.

9. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    What my great grandmother used to do is to dip them in a barrel full of water.You know like a dive.I am not joking that is was she was doing to make the hens "unbroody".

Also another advice you 'll probably know is never kill a broody hen for meat.Even with no eggs because if she goes broody then something happens to her meat and it is aweful.

Personal experience [​IMG]

10. scottfarm

scottfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    MILL CREEK, WV
    Quote:YES I AGREE WITH THIS, BUT I WOULD LET HER SET A WHILE LIKE THE OTHER POST SAID .. GOOD LUCK
    IF YOU NEED BABIE CHICK LET ME KNOW , WE HAVE A HATCH COMING OFF THIS WEEKEND THAT WILL BE FOR SALE..
    WE JUST SHIPPED 25 TO GA , ALL ARRIVED ALIVE.. CUSOTMER VERY HAPPY..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by