Hen sitting on nest alot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LDuncan, Dec 24, 2012.

1. LDuncan

LDuncan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2012
    I have five chickens that are 7 months old. My Buff Orphington has been laying eggs daily. For the past few days she has not gotten off the nest much, and when you approach her she crackles so you leave her alone. I don't know what to do or if this is normal. How do I tell if she is sick or having trouble laying an egg. If she is having trouble laying an egg, what can I do?

Thanks for any advice, Lisa

2. chiefslogan

chiefslogan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2012
    Iowa
    She actually might be getting ready to hatch some eggs

3. LDuncan

Dec 24, 2012
    I had not thought of that. I will keep watching her. Thanks.

4. chiefslogan

chiefslogan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2012
    Iowa
    If she stays there and still doesn't want to get up you might want to check if there are any eggs under her. If there are u might have new chicks

5. LDuncan

Dec 24, 2012
    We don't have a rooster, just five hens. I think she is fine since she got out on her own and ate a corn cob! But, I watched her this morning and while she was in the nest my black hen wanted to get in there and Bonnie the one I'm talking about (who is sitting on the nest) wouldn't budge and was really picking at the black one. I then thought that this is some hierarchy, and she is trying to be the number one hen. Then my wellssomer tried to get in and Bonnie wouldn't budge. We have two nests, but they all like the first one. I just think it is odd that she sat there all day and barely ran about. She is the busiest of them normally. I again just went to see her and she had an egg under there and I am pretty sure it was not hers (it was a blue egg and hers are brown). I took it and she had her feathers fluffed and didn't want me there. I guess she just wants to hog the nest. I don't know much about hen behavior. I guess I just have to wait and see.

Also, is it ok to let them out in the rain? How wet can they get, or is it best to keep them in when it's raining. I've been wondering about this. It's been raining alot.

6. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Not sure on the behaviors, other than suspecting you're on the right track about dominance -- you might wanna try pickin' her up 'n carryin' her around for a bit. It's something folks do w/ roosters to temper their bullying. Hanging some burlap strips over the nesting boxes often makes them less appealing for just lounging around in, but more private for when they've gotta lay thier egg.

The rain, w/ winter cold, would concern me a bit as well, but mine haven't seemed to mind splashin' around in the water every chance they get ~'-)

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    She shows sign of being broody... ( maybe).. check her breast area to see if she has been losing feathers there... broodies usually pluck feathers out of that area when broody and will sit on a nest all day...she is showing the typical aggressive stance of a broody protecting eggs ( be the eggs hers or anothers eggs).

IF you do not want her to stay n the nest you can block the area with something as Cowvreekgeek says - it will be a deterrent to her and yes, it is a great idea to take her from the nest and move her around,- if she shows a trance like state when removing her from the nesting box you will almost definately have a broody hen....

Suzie

1 person likes this.
  8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Forgot to mention that rain seems not to cause problems... even my Silkie girls go out in the wet, cold rainy conditions without any problem apart from being mud monsters when they come home!

Suzie

9. rlhagan56

rlhagan56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Out West
    I just got two new Buff Orpingtons, just turning 2, and the one has been on a nest off and on, more on than off. Today I had to laugh because she isn't real friendly, but not afraid of me, and she started screaming like crazy this afternoon when I looked in the nest. Though funny, I thought maybe she was trying to get in the mood to brood.

10. maransfan16

maransfan16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    she is just broody, my orpington was last week if you have room then seperate her from all the others in a place with nothing but a place to roost eat and drink NO NEST BOX and keep her there solitary for three or four days if she is really broody you might need to leave her like that a week but most of the time 3 or 4 days and she will be back to normal hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by