Hen sitting on pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PotreroHillChickens, Jun 29, 2011.

1. PotreroHillChickens

PotreroHillChickens New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    I'll post this question again in a slightly different format. Our adopted rescue battery hen was laying one egg nearly every day. Now she is not laying. In the week before she stopped laying, our smaller adopted chick/pullet began pushing itself underneath her. That chick now sleeps underneath her every night, and a lot during the day. Anyone have this experience before. Could this be why she stopped laying. The hen is definitely the dominant chicken in our 4 chicken coop - but never bothers the little one herself. The little one pushes herself under the larger hen, and the other little one does the same. Any ideas? Any thoughts on how to change this behavior ?

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Hi and [​IMG] It appears that your rescued hen has gone broody. During this process, she will not lay an egg. [​IMG] She will raise her "chicks" until she decides to move on. Give her some time to be a mother (she has earned it) and she will be back to laying in no time. [​IMG]

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Sweet!
    [​IMG]

4. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    So sweet! Let them enjoy this time!

I had an EE hen who was the roosters favorite, and he rubbed off her back feathers. At night on the roost the Brahma hen began drapping her wing over the EEs back to keep the chill off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by