Hen sitting on unfertilized eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by caseybloo, May 15, 2010.

1. caseybloo

caseybloo Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    I have a lone chicken sitting on unfertilized eggs:)[​IMG]. Kinda sad funny. Can I swap some fertilized eggs without her noticing??

2. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I've swapped eggs a couple of times and it they never seem to mind (even adding bigger duck eggs). The last time none of the eggs hatched though and so I got a couple of day old Silkies at our local feed store. Put them next to her in their box until their peeping made her start cooing (it's kind of a growly coo) and then slipped them underneath her and removed the eggs one at a time. She looked a little confused at first and the settled right down.

3. homesteadingcowgirl

homesteadingcowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    most don't mind to be disturbed a little. It will help if you can do it in the dark.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG] Welcome [​IMG] to [​IMG] the [​IMG] forum! [​IMG] [​IMG] Glad [​IMG] you [​IMG] are [​IMG] here!

Yes, you can absolutely add fertile eggs. You can do it at night if you wish, but I've had good success just tossing her off the nest so she can take her constitutional, swap out the eggs, and leaving. When she comes back, she just hops on the nest.

I suggest you read this thread and pay special attention to the discussion on marking the eggs. Unless she is isolated from the other hens, you will probably find other eggs in her nest from time to time. You need to mark the fertile eggs and daily remove the others.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

Good luck and welcome to the adventure of having a broody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by