hen sitting too long?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggfooyung, Jun 6, 2010.

1. eggfooyung

eggfooyung Chirping

Mar 2, 2009
    i have 4 hens, no rooster, 2 nesting boxes in coop, girls free-range. the golden-laced wyandotte has been sitting in her nest for 2 days, she puffs up and growls at me when i come near. the other hens have laid only 1 egg in 2 days but are acting normally. is she sick? does she think she's going to hatch eggs? and why might the others not be laying? empathy?

2. marymac

marymac Songster

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    sounds like she's gone broody. She wants to be a mama. Since you have no rooster her eggs aren't fertile, but she doesn't care, she wants to be a mom

3. eggfooyung

eggfooyung Chirping

Mar 2, 2009
    how long will she sit there? will she eventually figure it out? will she be horribly disappointed? [​IMG]

4. marymac

marymac Songster

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I have 2 silkys that sat for about a week and half or so, then gradually gave up. They claim if you put them in a wire bottom cage with nothing in the bottom it breaks them of it, but I have never done that. Mine basically just quit on their own. If you want more chicks, now would be a good time to find some fertile eggs and slip them under her , as she would hatch them for you. On the other hand you could keep taking away any eggs she lays and just try to break her that way.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by