Hen sleeping on the floor?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by davidtrinh797, Dec 30, 2016.

1. davidtrinh797

davidtrinh797 New Egg

Apr 16, 2016
    Hi guys, so recently it's been very hot in Sydney (average 30c+), and tonight i've noticed that a couple of my hens (who usually sleep in the coup) are sleeping on the floor outside in the run. One of the two hens have recently been a bit less active, sitting down a bit more, but still drinking and eating normally. Is it just the heat or should I be worried it's something serious?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I know sometimes where I live here in the states.... on super hot, still, and humid nights, my hens are often reluctant to coop up at night. Hard to blame them as I am sure it is stifling in the coop even at night. I don't think there is anything to worry about as long as your run is predator proof. I think they'll go back in when the heat finally breaks. Best of luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yeah.....Here in the summer my Birds sleep out in the run......Set up a Roost for the hot nights in the run as long as it is totally safe.....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by