Hen sleeping with mouth open & snoring

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jcatblum, Jun 21, 2011.

1. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I haven't noticed the hen in any kind of distress or signs of not feeling well. Everyone else is in good health. Tonight I went down to lock up & heard a funny noise. Looked around & found her snoring. Watched her for a while she kept her mouth open the whole time I was there. Any thoughts?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Maybe the heat? I've had hens honk like a goose in the heat.

3. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    Quote:X2---[​IMG].

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I'm not sure about the snoring, but the only time I see my girls breathing with their mouth open is when they're hot. Does she sound stuffy at all, or have a runny nose? Pollen has been high for a couple weeks (around here at least). Maybe she's a little stuffy.

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:I have one that does that. At first I wondered what in the world... then finally figured out she does it only when she's really hot.

6. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    I know in a way it's not funny--especially since it's hot..but I can just think of the other chickens...My goodnes...I can't sleep someone tell her to roll over or put a pillow over head...I need my beauty sleep!!!! [​IMG]

7. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:ive got a hen doing that too at first I was worried she was sick but she just seams to honk every so often. in between pants.

Im glad you said this so I worry even less.. thanks )O(
    PInk

8. stoneeater

stoneeater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Maybe your chicken has sleep apnea? [​IMG]
    I have an Austrolorp that has been honking lately. The heat thing makes sense. It's been close to 100 here.

9. Gooter

Gooter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    central VA
    Is your chicken 'snoring' or rasping? Is it possible it's got a respiratory disease? The stress of heat would surely make that worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by