Hen sleeps alone

mnelle

Chirping
Nov 23, 2021
i have two coops. My black Cochin hen was in a coop with her clutch mate , another rooster, while my rooster and two silkies were in another coop. The Cochin is now alone. She socializes with the others during the day, but goes into her own coop to sleep alone at night. I tried putting her in with the other chickens as bedtime approached, but she was frantically trying to escape back to her own coop. Should I force the issue or let her have her own space?

i have two coops. My black Cochin hen was in a coop with her clutch mate , another rooster, while my rooster and two silkies were in another coop. The Cochin is now alone. She socializes with the others during the day, but goes into her own coop to sleep alone at night. I tried putting her in with the other chickens as bedtime approached, but she was frantically trying to escape back to her own coop. Should I force the issue or let her have her own space?
Give the little lady her privacy, Some of us chicks like to sleep alone 😀🐣✝️

Do you mind maintaining 2 coops? Do you have other purposes in mind for the coop she's using?

If not, then let her be.

If you do, then move her to the preferred coop at night, shut the door, and let her find her way.

Do it every night until she learns the habit of roosting in her new home.
Sounds to me like 3killerBs has had some real experience with chicken chickiatery Great advice 😀👍🐣

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom. She is the lowest in the pecking order, and I have been afraid of confining her with the other chickens—afraid they will bully her. I’ll let her keep her own palace. Winters are tough, but I have coop heaters to keep her warm.

Back
Top Bottom