Hen smells like..stagnant water??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lothiriel, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Okay. Some of you may remember Carmel, my Golden Nugget who had problems with being eggbound. She got better, but tonight I went out to lock up the coop, and she was outside in their little "igloo" thing (calf hutch attached to the coop for the winter). I called her in, and she came. I picked her up and she seemed okay, but when I put her down she was all wobbly, and had trouble standing up. She kept wobbling backwards and forwards. I picked her up again and noticed she smelled really yuck. Her rear end feathers have been messy since her eggbinding problem, but the smell wasn't there before. It's like stagnant water.
    So,
    *She smells like stagnant water
    *and she's wobbly on her feet, couldn't stay on the roost

And actually I don't think she's laid any eggs (8 months old). But her abdomen isn't very swollen/hard.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Since her first ordeal she's been a real sweetie. [​IMG]

2. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    HI Lothiriel,

I'm sorry to hear about your chicken. I'm new to raising chickens, so I can't really give you any solid advice and I hope there is someone else here that can. But I was wondering if you could make more clear what you mean by smelling like stagnant water- like rotten eggs? (sulferic smell?) or like dirt? Poo-y? I ask because to me stagnant water doesn't smell bad- so I'm not understanding clearly what you mean by that.

Also, is she a free range chicken?

Hope you get some answers soon. It sounds as though you will have to act fast, whatever it is.

Hoping and praying for your little chicken! Hang in there, someone else will surely chime in soon..

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Maybe she has some sort of infection inside??

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:I think it's slightly sulferic. We have a ditch in our back yard that fills with water and mud in the summer and it really stinks, and that's what Carmel smelled like last night. She didn't smell too bad this morning.
    She's not wobbly this morning - found her on the roost with a couple other girls. (I was half expecting her to be dead this morning... [​IMG]) She looks anemic - pale, but not the pale of a non-laying healthy hen. Kind of yellowish white around the nostrils and eyes and where her wattles come down. She's been that coloring for a while.

Quote:Yes, they're all free range. But here in the winter they hate the snow, so we put the calf hutch up there like an extension. [​IMG]

Sundown, what kind of infection do you think it could be? I haven't had much experience myself with diseases. (Thankfully!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by