Hen sneezing and watery poop, please help I'm new.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hanginwmypeeps, Feb 18, 2012.

1. hanginwmypeeps

hanginwmypeeps New Egg

Feb 18, 2012
    Hi everyone, I am new to BYC and I have 5 hens about 9 months old. My Buff Brahma (Gloria) has been sneezing and having watery poops for about 5 days. Other than that she is acting normal. My question is...should I do anything to treat it if she is perky still and also can I still be eating her eggs? Our chickens are our pets and we eat their eggs daily. I have not started antibiotics on our mini flock because I didn't want to do it unnecessarily and then not have eggs for weeks. The feed store people have not been able to give me much advice and I'm really worried. She has not gotten worse at all just pretty much the same (yesterday she seemed to sneeze less). I read that if they have watery poop they may not be eating enough but she's scratching and pecking all over the yard, and ate crickets yesterday. She just layed a huge egg (she sometimes lays double yolks) and is my fiesty girl as usual. Please help, I'm still learning about these awesome little animals.

Kasia

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. Featherland26

Featherland26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    England
    does she have any discharge from her nose or eyes?

3. hanginwmypeeps

hanginwmypeeps New Egg

Feb 18, 2012
    No discharge from anywhere, it's very odd...she seems healthy other than the runny poop and sneezing. SHe is quite a heavy bird and doesn't seem thin. Not lethargic at all.

4. hanginwmypeeps

hanginwmypeeps New Egg

Feb 18, 2012
    her poop consists of clear fluid (a lot) and little brown pooplets.

5. Featherland26

Featherland26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    England
    mabae try worming her, she may be sneezing from gape worm, i have no idea, watery poop suggest worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by