Hen sneezing/coughing for 5 months now, HELP!

Dandelion111

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2022
I’m new to this forum.
I started raising chickens last August.
I have a lavender Orp that is about a year old that began sneezing/coughing in beginning of January.
I live in the south, zone 8b, we do get some cold spells that only last about a week at a time between Jan-March. Mostly mild weather.
Hens are in a 9X13 fully enclosed coop with ventilation at roof and some slots on side of the west facing wall. Basically the coop is attached to the back of our barn.
I use deep litter method with the mulch clippings that I have mountain heaps of from when the town comes thru every 7 years and cuts back trees and such from power lines.
Hens are free range & I spend a fortune on Corn & Soy free organic feed to supplement them with.
I prefer to use all natural methods but I haven’t been able to get this poor hen to STOP!
She just stands around, doesn’t eat much, but still manages to hang with the rest of the flock... that was until I decided that I NEED to get to the bottom of this issue and brought her into garage the past 9-10 days. I decided to treat her with fish-mox, I keep on hand for emergencies, 250mg that I just made her swallow. Did this 3x day for 2 days with NO improvement, in fact NOW her wings are drooping, she is lethargic, keeps her eyes closed most the time, and just STANDS there :-(
So i have been searching for and answer on her condition for the past 5 months and have concluded that her only symptom is cough/sneezing so she may have airsaculitis...? So since I saw no improvement after 2 days on mox, I ran to TS and got Tylan 50... been dosing her with is, today is day 2, every 6-8 hrs by mouth (I put 0.5ml in 2 veggie caps= 1ml and pill her by making her swallow it by mouth...I have a cross beak that I torpedo so I’m kinda used to it, Ha!)
Still no improvement and her wings are just SO low and she just stands there nodding off and sneezing, my heart just hurts to see her this way and what else can I do?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

I’m new to this forum.
I started raising chickens last August.
I have a lavender Orp that is about a year old that began sneezing/coughing in beginning of January.
I live in the south, zone 8b, we do get some cold spells that only last about a week at a time between Jan-March. Mostly mild weather.
Hens are in a 9X13 fully enclosed coop with ventilation at roof and some slots on side of the west facing wall. Basically the coop is attached to the back of our barn.
I use deep litter method with the mulch clippings that I have mountain heaps of from when the town comes thru every 7 years and cuts back trees and such from power lines.
Hens are free range & I spend a fortune on Corn & Soy free organic feed to supplement them with.
I prefer to use all natural methods but I haven’t been able to get this poor hen to STOP!
She just stands around, doesn’t eat much, but still manages to hang with the rest of the flock... that was until I decided that I NEED to get to the bottom of this issue and brought her into garage the past 9-10 days. I decided to treat her with fish-mox, I keep on hand for emergencies, 250mg that I just made her swallow. Did this 3x day for 2 days with NO improvement, in fact NOW her wings are drooping, she is lethargic, keeps her eyes closed most the time, and just STANDS there :-(
So i have been searching for and answer on her condition for the past 5 months and have concluded that her only symptom is cough/sneezing so she may have airsaculitis...? So since I saw no improvement after 2 days on mox, I ran to TS and got Tylan 50... been dosing her with is, today is day 2, every 6-8 hrs by mouth (I put 0.5ml in 2 veggie caps= 1ml and pill her by making her swallow it by mouth...I have a cross beak that I torpedo so I’m kinda used to it, Ha!)
Still no improvement and her wings are just SO low and she just stands there nodding off and sneezing, my heart just hurts to see her this way and what else can I do?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)
Also want to mention that she was eating a little bit since I’ve been dosing her she won’t eat :-(

Back
Top Bottom