Hen sneezing for a few days, just noticed watery eyes :/

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by melloladies, May 19, 2011.

1. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Silkie, right under a year old, previously healthy, but she's always been at the bottom of the pecking order. When I noticed her sneezing (about 4 days ago) I put Sulmet in the communal waterer. It hasn't helped, and today, I noticed she has watery eyes. She keeps sneezing and shaking her head... Nobody else is showing any syptoms, but I now have her separated. I've stopped the sulmet, and have electrolytes in her water now. Anything else I can do? How to proceed?
    Thanks!

2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    This might seem like a dumb suggestion but have you wiped off her face and cleaned out her nostrils (nares?) in case she's got a physical irritant causing the problem?

3. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Quote:I'll take any suggestions I get- dumb or not! I have not done that, but I can try that this saturday. DH has been out of town, so I'm lacking a helper.

4. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    I just had a very similar experience with a young chick. Not certain if yours has the same thing, but mine developed the same symptoms. Runny (not bubbly) eye, and sneezing. General lethargy. I tried Sulmet and Duramycin to no avail. What did help was antibiotic drops in her eye: ciprofloxicin, or anything prescribed for human pinkeye (conjunctivitis). Also, Vetamicyn and erythromycin opthalmic helped the surrounding tissue. She's better now, but I really don't know if she has an underlying condition which produced these symptoms, or if it was a localized bacterial infection. But I know those things helped. Best of luck with yours. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by