Hen sounded like Toy Squeak - Dies month or so later

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DigitalEd, Oct 4, 2011.

1. DigitalEd

DigitalEd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Upstate SC
    Hey all,
    We had one of our eight EE's start sounding like a Dog or child squeak toy about a month or so ago. I didn't think much of it at the time. Searching the forum didn't yield much other than it was likely some respiratory problem. Well, she died today. I found her just outside the nest boxes. She didn't seem to have any problems this morning other than the squeak.

Anybody got a good chicken medical reference book? I'm just wondering if we could have done something different to prevent the loss.

----- Ed

2. BlackberryFarm

BlackberryFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    I'm sorry you lost your hen.

Were you able to rule out gape worm?

If you have her body, (and the mental strength), you could check her windpipe to see if there are any gape worms there.

Or...try a site search for gape worm, or gapeworm, and see if her symptoms match.

Wish I could be more help.

3. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Do any of your other hens have the same symptoms. Have you wormed them lately. If not, I would get some valbazen. Do a search on worming with valbazen. There are alot of thread. I just dealth with questionable respiratory issues and found out it was worms afterall.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=576036&p=1

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by