Hen Spends All Day Trying to Enter Our Home

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kenbutsu, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Kenbutsu

Kenbutsu New Egg

Apr 2, 2014
    I've been raising chickens for 2.5 years at this house, and this Spring was the first time I let a broody hen hatch chicks. One of the four hens that hatched leaves the rest of the flock each morning to patrol the outside of our house, spending most of her time walking by the back door and pecking on the glass. For reference, our house sits on 3 acres, the barn where they sleep is 50 feet away, and the rest of the flock (11 older birds, 1 rooster, and the 3 younger siblings) spends their day roaming our yard and neighbors' yards. Only once, for about a minute before I realized I left the front door opened, have 3 chickens ever been in the house. She was one of them.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be motivating this behavior? I suppose it's harmless unless she breaks the glass with her pecking, but it does seem like she's trying to solve some issue.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

-Ken

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That is Funny....My 5 Ducks knock on my Back screen door if I run inside for something...I know they would come inside if I left the door open...Chickens and Ducks are curious Birds...They want a look inside, silly Birds...

Cheers!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Smart bird......knows where the food bringer hides....haha!

1 person likes this.
  4. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Yep. Lol be careful or she will have you trained! Every time she comes to the door, do not, I repeat, DO NOT give her any kind of treats. Promptly take her back to the coop/run. If you have to, you may try an electric fence, like one used to keep rabbits out if the garden. Just temporarily, until she gets zapped once or twice and gets the point to stay away from the house.

Or you'll end up with poop by the door from all the other beggars that will soon follow her lol...

Like these :p ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. chickens really

[​IMG]
    Haha!!! Or like these brats.....

1 person likes this.
  6. Kenbutsu

Kenbutsu New Egg

Apr 2, 2014
    So it sounds like this happens frequently enough and isn't necessarily due to some unmet demand. I guess I found it strange because I've never fed treats from that door, and only one chicken exhibits this behavior. I guess I should promote her to management...

7. chickens really

Yes, give her a Management position....Haha!!! So funny....Silly Birds!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Or invite her to dinner...haha!

You don't want that one leading the union for house invasion.

9. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Yep, its normal. They( or at least one) have started to bond, imprint, etc. They know you feed them, and they know where you go when you're not feeding them lol. They're stalking you ;)

I even lost a camper to the chickens, literally. We used it for an "office". They would socialize with us in there and one day, I caught a hen laying an egg on my bench. After that, o couldn't keep that hen out if the camper, and when I locked her out, she decided to start laying a batch of eggs under a spruce tree. I gave in and made the camper into a second coop.

Not sure I could let them in my house now ha-ha :D

Winner winner chicken dinner lol :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by