Hen Squated?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by This_chicks_place, Jul 3, 2011.

1. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hi,
    So this morning when I was out doing doing my chicken chores in the coop all the chickens were out in the run where I could not see them. Up until today, my hen who I think will be the first to lay would run and scream everytime the rooster tried to get her. Well this morning my husband said she seemed to let the rooster have his way with her. He had her flat under him instead of the fighting she usually does. So my question is: In your experience, if she did submit, how long until we have an egg? I think I will explode with the anticipation:eek:

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Real soon!! Is her comb bright red yet? That would be another sign. You will get it when you least expect it.

3. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Her comb/wattles are both big and red. Thats why I think she will be the first to lay. We have had her for 17 weeks and she was abit older than the other chicks as she had some feathers already while the others were just sporting the chicky down. I suppose it's like the old saying...A watched pot never boils. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by